We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
As the seasons change, so does our skin. I know mine gets extremely dry this time of year if I don’t take the proper steps to keep it moisturized. The weather change is to blame! It’s easy to be proactive though, especially if you already have a full routine going for you! Here are my 5 tips to combat dreaded dry skin this season.
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize! That probably sounds like common sense, but I still need to say it! You might need to switch your moisturizer this time of year, I know I do! I change from a lighter moisturizer to a heavier cream in the winter and I make sure to pack on a sleeping mask ever few days for extra hydration. I also break out the body oil for my body after I shower and follow with a heavier body cream.
- Exfoliate regularly! You might be thinking I’m crazy, but exfoliation is really important for your skin! Face scrubs and exfoliating masks are perfect a few times a week, or less depending on your skin. Always listen to your skin and start off slow! I also look for products that contain glycol acid or lactic acid, which are chemical exfoliants. It’s best to alternate your chemical and physical exfoliants so you don’t over exfoliate!
- Drink water! I know you’ve heard this a million times…haven’t we all??! When the weather gets colder most of us tend to drink more hot beverages like coffee and tea. That’s totally fine as long as we are still hydrating ourselves with good old fashion h20.
- Switch out your facial cleanser for a more gentle one. A lot of cleansers contain fragrance for some reason, and that’s a no no when you’re trying to keep your skin from drying out. Switch to something more gentle. I personally have a cleanser for each season, and each mood since I’m a total hoarder, but thats another story!
- Last but not least, we all know us women love hot showers, but for the sake of our skin, try to tone it down! Don’t wash your face with hot water, opt for luke warm. Hot water can dry out your skin fast and that goes for your body as well. I’m guilty of taking super hot showers, and I pay the price, believe me. I go through more lotions, balms and thick creams than you can even imagine!